Disclaimer: I am not a doctor, nutritionist or professional chef. I do not provide nutritional breakdowns or carb counts with my recipes. Google is a great source for that if needed. Blessed be... and happy cooking!

Tuesday, May 9, 2023

Lemon Pepper Halibut & White Bean Salad

This is another recipe that was inspired by a restaurant chef who refused to share way back in 2013... The appetizer of bacon wrapped grilled scallops served over a white bean salad topped with micro-greens was so incredibly good that we had to order a second portion for deconstruction... something I absolutely love to do. :-) So here's what I started with:

Fantastic appetizer... really... and back then I was all about the bacon! LOL What follows is a mystery to me a decade later, as I found a bunch of pics I took of recreating the dish at home ten years ago, but no recipe. Fortunately I was smart enough to take a group shot of the ingredients I used, so that gave me a place to start.
After studying the old pic it was time to get to work cutting up the ingredients using sizes best I could see in the decade old images and guessing at quantities.

This looked like a pretty good balance so I just put it all together, taking really bad notes along the way. LOL Hey... creativity is not always pretty! :-)

Now that I had my salad it was time to create a proper dressing. I could see from the old picture that lime juice was included, so I immediately went to my Luscious Lemon Vinaigrette recipe for guidance. Trial and error came up with this mix.
My mix really brought it all together to create a fresh, vibrant, flavorful salad than can actually stand alone. Fish lover that I am, though, I was itching to try the halibut bites I had recently received as part of a fish order. Seasoned with my favorite lemon pepper blend from FreshJax Organic Spices and a little olive oil, they were given a quick fry and then added on top of the white bean salad.

You didn't think this was just a story, did you? *smirks* The process is pretty obvious above, but here is the ingredient list. Enjoy!

Fish:
  • 12 oz cubed halibut - any other white fish or scallops will work well, also.
  • olive oil
  • 1+ tbsp FreshJax lemon pepper blend
Salad:
  • +/-3 cups baby spinach - should yield 1.5 cups chopped
  • 2 15oz cans white beans - drained and rinsed
  • 1 orange bell pepper - diced
  • 1 shallot - minced
  • 2 medium tomatoes - seeded and then diced
  • 1/2 English cucumber - peeled, quartered, seeded and diced - should yield 1 cup
Dressing:
  • 1/8 cup red wine vinegar
  • 1/8 cup lime juice
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 1/4 tsp table salt
  • 1/8 black pepper
Enjoy!
Blessed be... and happy cooking!