Disclaimer: I am not a doctor, nutritionist or professional chef. I do not provide nutritional breakdowns or carb counts with my recipes. Google is a great source for that if needed. Blessed be... and happy cooking!

Friday, April 5, 2024

Lemon Parmesan Barley

I think I've now established that barley has become my go-to grain, not only because of its low glycemic index but also because it matches my flavor pallet and cooking so well. I always look for new ways to use this grain, and recently I came across this little gem on Food.com that will pair quite well with any lemon oriented protein. Enjoy!
Barley is shown here paired with Chicken Gruyere
Ingredients:
  • 1.5 cups chicken broth
  • 3/4 cup quick cooking barley
  • 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
  • 1/8 tsp black pepper
  • 1/4 cup shaved parmesan cheese
  • 1 tbsp lemon zest
  • 1 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
Preparation:
Combine the broth, oil and pepper in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Stir in the barley, cover and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer ~12 minutes until tender and liquid is absorbed.
Remove from heat and stir in cheese, lemon zest and parsley.
Cover and let stand for 5 minutes... then fluff with fork and serve.
Barley is shown here paired with Slow Cooker Mediterranean Chicken
The barley also pairs well with Lemon Caper Snapper

Blessed be... and happy cooking!