Disclaimer: I am not a doctor, nutritionist or professional chef. I do not provide nutritional breakdowns or carb counts with my recipes. Google is a great source for that if needed. Blessed be... and happy cooking!

Wednesday, March 27, 2024

Wondra Codfish

Most people know that I idolize Chef Gordon Ramsey for his skill and success, but when it comes to actual daily cooking and dishes that I can make myself, Chef Jacques Pepin is my go-to hero. Chef Pepin shows us how to cook good food from the comfort of his kitchen right in his own home. You can tell by looking over his shoulder that his kitchen is his happy & safe place and that it is a place of creativity and joy. Chef Pepin says he is not looking for people to walk away from his table with a "culinary experience", but rather with the little voice inside their head saying "Damn that was good food!"

Chef takes simple ingredients that most of us already use and blends them in ways that I have grown to trust. My first experience where I was a bit leery was when I made his Chicken Lyon where he adds ketchup to the sauce. Yes... it definitely works and has become a family favorite. 

Having built trust in Chef Pepin's ingredient choices, I was intrigued when I watched his video where he added julienned radish to a cod dish. Carolyn was skeptical as well, but in the end, his understanding of blending flavors to create what I termed greatness for the common man proved to be absolutely outstanding.

He did not title the dish in the video, but because this was my very first introduction to Wondra Flour,

I have decided to name it: Wondra Codfish  :-)


Ingredients:
  • 2  6oz Cod filets
  • Half & Half (or milk or heavy cream)
  • Wondra Flour
  • 2-3 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 tbsp butter
  • Salt & Pepper
  • 1-2 scallions -cut ~1/4" pieces
  • ~1/2 cup mushrooms - cut up
  • 2 radishes - julienned
  • ~1/4 cup black olives - quartered or halved depending on size you have
Preparation:
Okay so one thing to know here is that Chef used "whatever was in the refrigerator"..... Quantities of each ingredient are pretty much your choice. Chef Pepin is very accommodating in his recipes and actually urges us to make his work our own. You can get a rough idea from the pic below. Get all ingredients ready before you start the fish. The actual cooking is rather quick.


Pat the filets dry with paper towel and season both sides with S&P. Dip the filets in half & half and then Wondra flour. Heat olive oil in a skillet that has a cover. Cook in fryer on both sides until golden brown... couple minutes each side on medium high. Then lower heat, cover and cook fish through... couple more minutes. Set the fish on a warm serving dish or plate both servings. I lay pieces of aluminum foil over filets to keep them warm.

Add butter and a little more olive oil to the pan on medium. Add the scallion and mushroom and sautee for maybe a minute. Then add the olives and radish and toss for about another minute. Don't overcook... crunch is your friend here. :-)

Top the filets with the garnish and serve with a green vegetable of your choice. Enjoy!


Here is Chef Jacques Pepin's original video: Wondra Codfish

Blessed be... and happy cooking!