Disclaimer: I am not a doctor, nutritionist or professional chef. I do not provide nutritional breakdowns or carb counts with my recipes. Google is a great source for that if needed. Blessed be... and happy cooking!

Friday, February 23, 2024

Cucumber & Tomato Salad

 Sometimes I forget to buy stuff... I know... I know... :-)

Well... guess what... I'm not perfect. When I do run into such a predicament I let out a few self deprecating curses and do my best to salvage the meal.

One day I I reached in the fridge for lettuce, only to find none. I had tomatoes, cucumbers and other assorted salad goodies, but no lettuce. The dinner unfortunately did not lend itself to my German Cucumber Salad or my Italian Tomato Salad, so I had to punt. 

And so the Cucumber & Tomato Salad was born featuring our standard house dressing.


Ingredients:

  • tomatoes - cut up
  • cucumbers - cut up
  • homemade dressing

Preparation:

Cut up enough tomatoes and cucumbers you think will be enough for the meal. The dressing is really a personal flavor thing, but the base for two people we use is 2 tbsp red wine vinegar and 1 tbsp good quality olive oil. Add salt, pepper, garlic powder, dry basil and oregano, sometimes thyme, to taste. Play with it until you get a simple dressing you can call your own, thereby staying away from all the junk that's in store-bought dressings. Enjoy!

Blessed be... and happy cooking!