Disclaimer: I am not a doctor, nutritionist or professional chef. I do not provide nutritional breakdowns or carb counts with my recipes. Google is a great source for that if needed. Blessed be... and happy cooking!

Thursday, November 9, 2023

Slow Cooker Black Beans & Barley

Legumes are among some of the very best foods for us diabetics. There's a reason I devoted a whole Weekend Ramble to them a while back. Visit The Health Benefits of Legumes for more information.

Today I share with you a recipe found in one of my favorite recipe books, The Comprehensive Diabetic Cookbook for Beginners by Keith Laurence. In this dish he combines black beans (GI 30) with my absolute favorite grain barley. The recipe calls for hulled barley (GI 20-25) but if that is hard to come by, pearl barley (GI 30) will work equally well.

I personally prefer to use more than three cloves of garlic, but... well that's just me. LOL

The key to making this butt-ugly protein work is to pair it with something that will create a party in your mouth, because it certainly is NOT pretty to look at. The whole concept of attractive plating is just out the window with this one, so don't even think of a party for your eyes! LOL. I've found that an Italian tomato salad or my German Cucumber Salad take care of this nicely and will bring about the always loved Yummy Noises. :-)

I hope you enjoy this earthy dish as much as I do, and as always... feel free to make it your own with seasonings and sides that YOU like. Enjoy!

Ingredients:

  • 1.5 cups hulled barley
  • 2 cups dry black beans - rinsed and drained
  • 8 cups vegetable broth
  • 1 lge yellow onion - chopped
  • 3-4 cloves garlic - minced
  • 1 tsp table salt
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1/2 tsp dried thyme
Preparation:

Mix all the ingredients in a 6 qt slow cooker.





Give all ingredients a good stir.

Cover and cook on low for 6-7 hours or until beans and barley are soft.

Remove the bay leaf and discard. Serve warm with a tossed green salad, traditional Italian tomato salad or my German Cucumber Salad.

For a breakfast treat next day form small patties, dip in egg and panko and fry to a crispy golden brown. 😊

Blessed be... and happy cooking!