Disclaimer: I am not a doctor, nutritionist or professional chef. I do not provide nutritional breakdowns or carb counts with my recipes. Google is a great source for that if needed. Blessed be... and happy cooking!

Wednesday, April 12, 2023

Slow Cooker Cranberry Orange Pork Loin

I have been cooking for decades. When I was diagnosed type 2 back in 2013 my whole culinary world went into a tailspin, and I basically had to learn to cook all over again. I'm not gonna lie... it was very very hard to give up so many things that I had loved for years. Yes... there was anger and there were tears. I started this blog to share my newly learned skills but could never quite let go of my culinary past completely. That is why I have the quotation marks in the blog's name.

My "Diabetic" Food

My goal is to share good food for all with a strong lean toward recipes that serve the diabetic foodies well. This slow cooker is not one of those recipes. Today's slow cooker is for the folks following me who are not diabetic and it is a culinary memory that makes me salivate to this day. If this dish does get made in a diabetic home, please be sure you stick to one slice of meat and maybe 1 tbsp of the sauce. Enjoy!

Ingredients:

  • 4.5 - 5 lbs boneless pork loin roast
  • Salt & pepper to taste
  • 1 tbsp avocado oil
  • 1 - 14 oz can whole berry cranberry sauce
  • 1/2 cup dried cranberries
  • 1/2 cup orange juice
  • 3 - 3” strips orange zest (no white stuff)
  • 1/8 tsp ground cinnamon

Preparation:

1: Dry pork with paper towel and season all sides with salt & pepper. Heat oil in large skillet over medium high heat until almost smoking. Brown pork well on all sides, about 7 – 10 minutes.

2: Stir cranberry sauce, cranberries, orange juice, orange zest and cinnamon into slow cooker. Nestle browned pork into slow cooker. Cover and cook until pork is tender and registers 140 - 145 degrees on meat thermometer. This will take about four hours on low.

3:Transfer pork to cutting board, tent loosely with aluminum foil, and let rest for 10 minutes. Let braising liquid settle for 5 minutes, then remove fat from surface using large spoon. Discard orange zest. Transfer braising liquid to saucepan and simmer until reduced to ~ 2 cups, about 12 minutes. Season with salt & pepper to taste.

4: Remove twine (if used) from pork, slice into 1/2” thick slices, and arrange on serving platter. Spoon 1 cup sauce over meat and serve with remaining sauce.

Blessed be... and happy cooking!