Disclaimer: I am not a doctor, nutritionist or professional chef. I do not provide nutritional breakdowns or carb counts with my recipes. Google is a great source for that if needed. Blessed be... and happy cooking!

Wednesday, March 20, 2024

Grandma Inspired Fried "Meatballs"

My wife's grandmother became my Grandma Caroline when we moved into her tiny basement apartment for the first two years of our marriage. She spoke no English... I spoke no Italian. We communicated through food... mostly by way of the amazing Italian dishes she fed me. I was not a good cook four plus decades ago, so Grandma's cooking was always a joy.

She frequently made these little football shaped fried meatballs that were just to die for. Thinking back now on how much oil she used....... but OMG they were so good!!! They were, of course, beef based, but today I saw her smiling down at me as I attempted a similar version using white meat chicken... and a lot less oil. LOL

In a nutshell, I think today's creation would have Grandma Caroline smiling. I hope you do as well.

Enjoy!

Ingredients:
  • 1 lb ground chicken breast
  • 1 egg
  • 1/3 cup onion - minced
  • 1/3 cup baby portobello mushrooms - minced
  • 2 tbsp fresh parsley - minced very fine
  • 1/2 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/4 tsp sweet paprika
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/8 tsp black pepper
  • 1/2 cup flavored breadcrumbs
  • 3-4 tbsp avocado oil
Preparation:

Mix all ingredients but the oil in a bowl... Don't be shy... use your hands and have fun! LOL Once thoroughly mixed, make free-form patties about 1/2" thick. I decided on patties so I could cut way back on the amount of oil grandma used to use.

Heat up a large skillet over medium high and then add the oil. Carefully place the patties in the skillet and fry until you see a color on the bottom you're happy with. Flip them over and finish with same color. 
Serve with a vegetable you like... Here I paired the paddies with sauteed bok choy and tomato.
Blessed be... and happy cooking!