Disclaimer: I am not a doctor, nutritionist or professional chef. I do not provide nutritional breakdowns or carb counts with my recipes. Google is a great source for that if needed. Blessed be... and happy cooking!

Saturday, November 4, 2023

Weekend Ramble: Dumping Red Meat

I am a huge fan of red meat.

There... I said it. LOL

I don't eat it anymore except maybe once or twice a month, but I am a fan nonetheless. 

You see, in April of 2022 I was finally able to connect with a cardiologist I had wanted to work with for two decades. In our first appointment we talked for over an hour. Can you imagine? :-)

I never thought it would happen, but because of him and the fact that we have a monthly subscription with Wild Alaskan Company, I decided to try a week without red meat. At the end of week one I was just fine and decided to go for a second week. Oddly enough, I was okay at the end of week two as well. Third week..... okay you can see where this is going. :-)

I ended up eating fish, shellfish and white meat chicken for four months... and then we did labs. The results on all levels were just insanely good... the best I'd had in 20 years. 

You see it's not so much the fat that comes with red meats, including pork and dark meat chicken, but rather the stuff in the meat itself that sends my lab numbers through the roof. Giving that up and limiting myself to one glass of red wine per day has convinced me that I CAN be healthier without giving up "good food".

Of course it helps that I can cook. :-)

I share this with you as I revive my recipe blog because up until early 2023 the collection had been somewhat red meat heavy. That is changing every day, and I am experimenting with converting some of the older dishes listed on the blog to include better proteins.

Don't let me scare you from red meat, though.

Moderation is key, and red meats will remain part of my new diet once or twice a month.

Stay tuned.... more good food is coming your way! 

Have a great week, everyone, and thank you for your support!

Blessed be… and happy cooking!

                                                            Chef Michael R