So it looks like spring is finally on its way.....
To celebrate the end of the winter doldrums, I've prepared a tuna salad that has evolved over time
into a full meal that needs no bread. I got the original idea from one of my favorite recipe books,
The Coastal Table by Karen J. Covey, and made some changes and additions. Enjoy!
- 2 cans solid white albacore tuna
- 2 hard boiled eggs - cut twice with egg slicer
- 1 lge onion - chopped
- 1/2 cup scallions - cut in 1/4" sections
- 1 cup celery - 1/8" slices
- English cucumber - about a 10" section peeled and diced
- 1/3 cup large black pitted olives - cut in half
- 1 can (15oz) dark red kidney beans - rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup roasted & salted sunflower seeds
- Mayo, olive oil, salt and pepper to taste (focus on the oil, not the mayo)
- 1 tomato - diced (optional and not shown in pics)
Combine all ingredients except for olives and beans and blend well.
Carefully fold in olives and beans, being careful so they don't break.
This dish is packed with protein and goes real easy on the carbs, and the flavor levels from the many different ingredients and textures are sure to awaken your senses and affirm the arrival of spring and renewed life! :-)
Plate in a nice bowl and serve... Enjoy!