Disclaimer: I am not a doctor, nutritionist or professional chef. I do not provide nutritional breakdowns or carb counts with my recipes. Google is a great source for that if needed. Blessed be... and happy cooking!

Saturday, June 17, 2023

Weekend Ramble: Some of My Favorite Quotes

There are quotes we come across in our lives that shape us as a person. They may describe a specific point in time or describe our views of life and humanity as a whole. Quotes come and quotes go.... we chuckle at many of them, but every once in a while you come across one that just sticks. Here are a few of mine:

“When one door closes another door opens;
But we so often look so long and so regretfully
Upon the closed door,
          That we do not see the new worlds
          Which open for us”
                                                Alexander Graham Bell


I latched on to the above quote 25 years ago when I was in the midst of quitting smoking. I was about 6 months into my quit when I realized that I had to... and needed to... focus on the new life ahead instead of continuing to mourn the loss of my deadly companion. Mr. Bell's words of wisdom rang true once again last year when I was diagnosed as diabetic. It is his thinking that immediately caused me to look forward and in turn create this blog to make my life going forward as normal as possible under the circumstances. The understanding that my menu of the past was killing me allows me to sever ties with moderate ease. Now don't get me wrong, this shit is NOT easy... not in the least. There are days when I crave carbs like pasta and potatoes just like a drug dependency. I'll be honest... there are days when I cave as well... I am NOT perfect. As a man doing his best to keep that addict gene in check, though, I am able to keep in mind that the alternative, in a nutshell, is a premature death. My sister died before turning 60 years old. My father died at age 52. Those are some pretty strong motivators for me as I approach my 65th birthday in a few days.

"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately,
To front only the essential facts of life,
And see if I could not learn what it had to teach,
And not, when I came to die,
Discover that I have not lived.
I did not wish to live what was not life, living is so dear,
Nor did I wish to practice resignation,
Unless it was quite necessary.
I wanted to live deep and suck the marrow out of life..."

                                                  Henry David Thoreau


First time I read the above quote, I literally got goosebumps. Grabbing life and making it real.... understanding that we are but a fleeting moment in time as we walk our planet... and realizing just how precious the simplest things truly are... THAT... is living. This diabetes? It is something to be dealt with... period. It is not the end of the world, but instead a challenge to help myself by helping others. Through it all, I know that I can still look to Mother Earth and all her glorious beauty... and I can smile because life is worth living.

"When I cook, I am looking to pull myself back
from a dish rather than add to a dish.
I would rather a dish feel too simple than too fussy.
Sometimes, though, you need to add some extra ingredients
as long as they work dynamically."
                                                    Chef Michael Anthony
                                                    Gramercy Tavern, NYC

When I first read Chef Michael Anthony's quote, I was reminded of my early days of cooking when I thought more is better. Since then I have learned from numerous chefs that it's important to let the protein shine and not bury it in a sea of herbs and spices. This quote has become the backbone of my cooking and it has served me very, very well.

My latest favorite sums it all up for me. I'll yet you form your own interpretation on this one because... well... I have a couple of new recipes to try out! :-)

Some people feel the rain...
                                                  Others just get wet.

May light, love and laughter be your constant companion.

Have a great week, everyone, and thank you for your support!

Blessed be… and happy cooking!

                                                            Chef Michael R