Disclaimer: I am not a doctor, nutritionist or professional chef. I do not provide nutritional breakdowns or carb counts with my recipes. Google is a great source for that if needed. Blessed be... and happy cooking!

Monday, October 16, 2023

Hot Bacon Kale

Ready for a green treat? Well then..... Have I got a treat for YOU!!!
I discovered kale.
There... I said it. I really didn't know kale existed until I was in my mid-fifties. LOL
I have to tell you... I'm kind of ticked off that nobody ever introduced me to
this great leafy green wonder before, but hey... can't win them all, right?
My introduction to kale was by way of this recipe, and let me tell you... it was baptism by fire, because this side is just insanely good! Now granted, it has bacon, and I am the first to admit that just about ANYTHING with bacon is amazing... There are more flavor levels to this dish than just the bacon, though, that make it so great. Here.... check it out...

Ingredients:
  • 4 slices bacon, chopped - turkey bacon is what I use these days.
  • 1 bunch fresh kale, about 10 oz, de-stemmed and shredded
  • 2 tbsp real sherry (not the grocery store crap)
  • 2 tsp Dijon mustard
  • 2 tbsp water
Preparation:
Mix sherry, mustard and water together in a measuring cup and set aside.
Place the bacon in a cold large stock pot over medium heat.
(cold pot promotes an even cook on the bacon)
Cook 3-4 minutes, until the bacon browns.

Cook's note here: I made a double batch in these pics and used turkey bacon.

 Add the kale and cook another 3-5 minutes, turning often, and pressing it down with a small lid or spatula until the kale reduces in size and is tender.

Turn the heat to low and add the sherry, mustard and water mix.
Toss until well blended and serve immediately.


Blessed be... and happy cooking!